« Home | One more song for the radio station! :) » | How would you like your Cat cooked sir? » | Why is it better to sit at the back of a plane? » | Holiday :) » | Return to the welshness » | Things to play with... » | Are star signs to be believed? » | Star Signs... » | Lol! » | Pedantics... »

I hate editing,,,

“When going to the toilet becomes an international incident”-Travels through Europe with my middle aged mother.

Even though I am probably a little old to be going on holiday with my mum, the opportunity of a free holiday exploring some of Eastern Europe seemed too good a trip to miss out on. There are plenty of articles telling you how to travel with children, how to entertain them and prevent them from becoming bored. Unfortunately there are no such articles about how to travel with your mother. I think after this I may write one.

Day 1-Because Planes don’t reverse into mountains.

The punch line to a very old joke, but it seemed particularly apparent as I sat just behind the wing on my flight to Prague. Our seating could be considered either a blessing or a curse. A blessing because planes indeed do not reverse into mountains but a curse because we were unable to see the safety instructions so if we did infact reverse into said mountain we wouldn’t have a clue what to do.
Fortunately after a relatively uneventful flight we landed in Prague airport. Having explained to my mother that she couldn’t find her luggage because she was stood by the luggage carousel from the Nottingham flight and she had infact flown from Leeds/Bradford we went through arrivals to find our tour guide. I’d been expecting a female, so you can imagine my surprise when we were greeted by a vertically challenged Geordie man, who we later learned he’d been doing the job for 30 years. It showed with his well weathered but impressingly suntanned face. We had somehow lost 2 members of our party, aptly named “The Tinkers” whilst he tried to locate them it gave me chance to take stock of our tour group; 2 over 90s, a man who looked like he had misplaced his spitfire, a Trevor McDonald look alike and a menagerie of equally bizarre husbands and wives. “The Tinkers” given up for lost we carried on to our communist tower block hotel, called the “Hotel Duo” because, surprisingly, there were 2 tower blocks. How very inventive.